Monday, July 1, 2013

The Host by Stephenie Meyer: Book Review



 The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Amazon Description:
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST
is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.


My Review:
I have never been a fan of sci-fi books before and I only wanted to read The Host because Stephenie Meyer is the author and I am a huge fan of The Twilight Saga. I was surprised at how little of the book can actually be considered sci-fi when the main character is a soul. Stephenie Meyer describes the book as "Sci-Fi for people who don't like Sci-Fi" and I couldn't agree more.

The best part of The Host is the may different aspects of love it explores. Love of family, friends, humankind, and the earth are all weaved in throughout the story. Wanderer is a soul incapable of hatred, even for Melanie who refuses to fade away and it is their relationship that is the most interesting in this novel.

I have read The Host many times since its release in 2010. It is my favorite book of all time. I was surprised at how easily I could relate to both Melanie and Wanderer. The emotions in this book always feel true and the relationships are all complex and beautifully developed.

I rate The Host by Stephenie Meyer 5 stars and recommend it for anyone looking for a good read.





No comments:

Post a Comment